loveless.next

Wednesday, February 07, 2018

How I got to know (& love) the head of Radio (Friendly Version)

It was 1994, or maybe the year before.  I was lying on my back on my bed in my hostel room listening to some tracks on my “walkman.”  My student friend from another hostel block dropped by and enthusiastically informed me that he just listened to this particular song that he thought would suit my rather self-proclaimed peculiar musical taste.  He told me to go see another friend, also not from my block, to have a preview of the song.  It was the first track on a compilation tape/cassette by EMI Malaysia.  And the song was Creep by Radiohead.  I “so very” loved it.

It’s “so very special.”
“I wish I was special.”

I also bought the compilation cassette.  Next, I bought Pablo Honey cassette in which the song was the 2nd track and immediately fell in love with the whole album.  It made heavy rotation on my “walkman.”  Then, came the 8-track My Iron Lung EP followed by the 1995’s sophomore The Bends album.  Both were superb to my ears!

The rest was history...as manifested by My Radiohead Collection legacy.*

Unfortunately, I have yet to see them live and had regretfully missed one of their live performances during their 1997 OK Computer tour.  (Nevertheless, I still bothered to go out to grab the ticket despite knowing that I would not be able to attend.)

[* The cassette versions of the earlier albums were long sold to be replaced by the CD versions.]


No comments: